Pages

Friday 28 June 2013

Steamed Green Tea Cakes

 I've had a long history of hundreds of failed baking/cooking attempts, mostly due to the ED part of me always trying to healthify everything by cutting out sugar, oil and stuff. But I've learnt that I can't do that. Baking/cooking just doesn't work like that, and that it is perfectly fine to have some oil, sugar, blah blah ingredients in there. Its all about the taste right? XD and furthermore it's divided up into portions! I really need to get over this obsessive OCD thing of mine about measuring when I bake too -.-






So anyway, I decided to try my luck at steaming cakes instead, seeing as other methods seem to work less well for me. Further inspired by one of my friend's kinako flavored steamed cakes (; 

This is the original recipe! 
~Green Tea Steamed Cake
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp plain regular yogurt
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. 100% natural green tea powder (matcha powder)

Instructions:
In a medium bowl, add the egg and oil and whisk well.
Add the honey and yogurt and mix well.
Add the sugar and mix thoroughly.
Sift the flour and baking powder together and add in the egg mixture.
Add the matcha powder and fold until powder is well incorporated into the batter.
Divide and pour the mixture into four cupcake liners.
Quickly cover with the lid and steam for 12-14 minutes on medium heat (when you overcook, the steamed cake get hard, so be careful).
Cover the lid with kitchen towel to prevent water dripping onto the cakes. 

The modifications I did was using wholewheat flour because that was the only thing I had at the moment. I recommend to use all purpose or a flour that can be sifted through, because mine ended up very grainy and the wholemeal flour tasted very prominent. Also, I added 2tsps of green tea powder because I wanted a stronger taste. If you're scared it'll become too bitter, add more sugar. Also, my steamer doesn't have temperatures but is set by timing only. I did mine for about 17 mins because it didn't seem cooked, but it turned out a little too hard in the end. I'll do maybe 13-15 mins next time. 

It was so fluffy and the green tea was pretty strong, which I loved. My family, which has a sweeter tooth, didn't like it as much but that's all right, I finished it all by myself! XD yes pig me die. NOT. It's awesome. Try it guys. Do. HAHAHA and it only makes 4 so don't feel bad for finishing it all ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment