Pages

Friday 28 June 2013

Baking nuts 101

LOVE nuts. I think I've said this about 2 million times ^~^ but raw nuts aren't that nice, and to buy packaged roasted nuts are just too expensive. So what to do? DIY, of course! And it's so easy! 

This attempt wasn't the best one though, because I was doing work while they baked instead of watching over them :p so if you look at the pictures, you'll realize my cashew nuts are really browned. If you don't want such brown colored nuts, just lightly browned like I do, take the nuts out of the oven after they're done baking. I left them inside so that's why they probably over-baked. But the taste is even stronger and so, so creamy. Omg. Cashews are my favorite. Or baked almonds. Or both. I can't decide )':
Overly charred cashew nuts, but super wonderful flavour.

HOW TO BAKE/DRY-ROAST NUTS IN 4 EASY STEPS

1. Preheat oven to 160 Degrees Celsius.
2.Spread nuts out on a big plate/tray. They shouldn't overlap each other.

3.After 5-10mins, put the tray into the oven for about 10-12mins.
4.At the end, remove tray from oven and leave nuts to cool completely! (Of course, taste testing is allowed :p)





*Watch the color of the cashews. If they turn lightly browned by the end of the timer, that should be okay. Take it out to cool and it should brown a little more. 
-If you're cooking almonds, you should smell an aroma from the nuts. Like really. The almonds leak out this beautiful wonderful nutty crispy smell when they're done. Also, they are rounder, fuller, more bloated than raw almonds. Some may have cracks in them. And when you bite into them, you would realize that their insides are more dark brown than light brown/beige like raw almonds. That's how you know they're done!

So easy. End product in 15 mins. I do this almost every week cos I finish nuts so annoyingly fast )))):

note the cracks in the almond shells xD

If you've only been eating raw nuts, I really encourage you to try baked ones. You don't know what you're missing. Best of all, they're so healthy you can eat lots and not feel bad ;) once you start, you can't stop! #problemsofanutaddict 

I've only tried this with hazelnuts, almonds and cashews, so I'm not too sure how it'd work with others. May try pistachios soon? I wanna steam chickpeas, I want kacang puteh :3 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, its fine if you dunwan to answer but have you reached healthy weight already? You eat so well and I want to eat like you too but its really hard... thanks !! Ure really inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sorry for the late reply! No I haven't, still quite far away actually! You can do it too!! Trust me!! ((:

      Delete