Pages

Saturday 6 April 2013

Up and Down the Merry-Go-Round

Do you have a bad habit of frequently weighing yourself? And is this what you commonly see?

7am: 45.7kg
9am: 46kg
3pm: 46.6kg
4pm: 46.8kg
8pm: 48.8kg

Each time you see the weight change, does it scare you? Especially at night, when the weight seems to be an entire 2kg increase as compared to the morning? Is that when you convince yourself that you've eaten too much that day, and you are going to become a huge whale? For people trying to lose weight, does this deter you from your weight loss goals, and resign yourself to the fact that your diet isn't working?

FACT:
OUR WEIGHT FLUCTUATES THROUGHOUT THE DAY.


As quoted from www.fitday.com , [Why weight fluctuations happen: They can be caused by many different factors, such as consumption of a big meal, excess salt intake, water retention, constipation and hormonal changes. One thing you should know is that the extra weight that you see on the scale does not come from an increase in body fat; it can be water, waste products or other substances that are temporarily present in your body]

It is PERFECTLY NORMAL for weight to fluctuate by 2.5-3kg throughout the day. So stop stressing. Stop scaring yourself. Most importantly, I think you should just stop weighing yourself. 

In the past, when ED was a bigger bitch than she is now, I used to weigh myself almost 5-6 times a day. Every time, I would be incredibly happy seeing a lower number, and have huge anxiety when I saw it go too high. Over-weighing is such an annoying ED behaviour. Yes, those numbers don't dictate my life. Numbers are just numbers, just another part of Math(which I hate). 

Currently, I weigh myself once a week, between 7.30-8.30am. I do it after clearing my bowels and stuff, and before consuming anything or doing any exercise. Basically, right after I get out of bed. This is usually the most dependable measurement to use. 

Last week, I weighed myself at 45.4kg. This week(Saturday), upon weighing myself again in the same conditions, it was 45.9! By right, I've gained 0.6kg, which has met my expectations for the week and I am super proud of myself! But this morning, I stepped on the scale again to check if my weight was accurate. It turned out to be 45.7kg. To me, every gram makes a difference. At the doctor's clinic, it determines if I can get back to exercise or not. Hence, I am currently in a dilemma, unsure as to what my TRUE weight actually is. Yes, it is just a measly 200g. But if given 45.9 and 45.7, I would choose the former option. I really hope that my weight is the higher one, and that I've really gained 0.6kg this week. 

However, this proves to me how weight fluctuations can be such a pain in ass. 

I have a high sodium intake, as I like to eat salted nuts, salted beans and salty foods in general. I drink tons of water as well, as many as 7 bottles a day. Sometimes, I hate myself for being like this, for causing so much trouble for myself. Why can't I just eat normally, so I won't have water retention, so I won't have extra bloat? But now, I've learnt to accept this fact. This is the way I eat. Why am I beating myself up about it? Water retention will go away. In the end, I just want to really just see an increase in weight. With this clear goal in mind, I am just going to set all my other thoughts aside and focus on meeting my target.

4 weeks, 2kg. 2 weeks down, 1kg achieved. 2 weeks to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment