Pages

Friday 12 July 2013

Breadelicious: Baker Talent

I remember how pre-ed, bread was my favourite food. The love of my life. I couldn't live without bread. Everyday, two, three servings of bread, wouldn't be a problem. Happily dipping 3 thick slices of white bread into lovely curry, making sure every inch was soaked with the lovely yellow. I would walk past Barcook Bakery, exclaiming: "Ohmygosh my favourite raisin cream cheese buns haven't sold out yet" and happily joining the queue, contentedly biting into a thick, creamy cheesy filling that tangled my taste buds. Or strolling and passing by a bakery selling waffles, and the unmistakable crisp pandan aroma from freshly baked waffles teased my senses, coaxing me into buying them without a second thought. "Peanut Butter waffle please, auntie put more peanut butter ah!" I remember I would say each time, then handing a well-spent $1.50 to her in exchange for a piping hot waffle, browned to perfection on its green base, with peanut butter melting on the inside from the warmth, dripping and steadily, slowly flowing out from the waffle. I would hurriedly savour its deliciousness, gaining comfort from the burst of flavour in my mouth in each bite.

Then stupid ED had to come in. And along with it came the harm.


 'carbs. fillings. sugar. white flour. unhealthy. fat. butter. banned.' I didn't dare to even walk near bakeries anymore. Walking past barcook, the only thought in my mind would be "that's gonna make me fat." or having to hold my breath as I passed a shop selling waffles, disallowing myself to even get tempted by its scent. Watching my family snatch that loaf of bread and chattering happily while dipping it into their plates full of curry, my mind would be a warzone, with loud voices telling me "that's white bread. It's full of carbs. It'll turn into fat. You don't want to be a lump of fat, do you? Just eat the vegetables, it's enough." And unfortunately, I listened. I listened to this stupid voice in my head, and let it control me for a good, I don't know, how many months? 5? 6? But it was more than enough. I'm pretty sure it screwed up quite a bit of my life for me. And I am so glad to be nearly rid of all these thoughts and voices now. Its wondrous how easy it is for me to just block out ED's voice now.
 "You're gonna get fat eating that." "Shut up you, I'm tryna gain weight." 
"Gasp, that is so unhealthy!" "If this is unhealthy, half the world would have died from heart disease or be obese right now."
Ohoho. I don't know if this is weird, but I really enjoy talking back to this voice in my head. And whenever I talk back to it, it can't come up with a good retaliation. And there's this other voice, a good voice, that is supporting me in my decision. When I say something positive, it seems to embrace me, encourage me. "That's right, you're doing it right. You're doing great. You just taught ana a great big lesson." And that satisfaction, I suppose, is one of the things driving me to keep doing it. It's just become a habit now.

Okay ladeeda I think I'm going super off topic. Anyway, as of July 13th, I am officially 50kg! (Okay I don't know how reliable this is man my house weighing scale I think has gone whack from underuse, but I'm trusting it for now) A mere few kilos from my goal healthy weight, 52.5kg. So near. And surprisingly, I'm not scared. I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to it, which is kinda scaring me haha. I don't know why, I want to be that weight again. I want to be at a healthy weight with my periods, and be able to go to gym and run and swim with my friends. Cycle on the weekends with my family. Bowl again. Oh man, I miss bowling so much. Anyway, so, to finish this journey as fast as I can, I'm currently going on a restaurant/cafe/bakery-hopping thimajig, whatever you call it. Basically, I've come up with a list of bakeries, dessert places, restaurants, etc places with foods that I want to try. Many are recommendations from friends, of course. So I'm trying to visit all these places, and try all these foods! I think it'll be so much easier eating food that I want to gain, and I won't feel that bad eating it. One of my worries now is that I won't be able to snack/eat as much once I reach healthy weight, that I will disallow myself from having so many treats and snacks every week. I'll deal with that problem when it comes, but for now, I'm gripping onto this sudden burst of courage, plus the onslaught of weird cravings that I've been having lately, and using it to my advantage and trying all sorts of foods that I've restricted myself from for the past 9 months. 

So, why did I choose bread as my main topic? COS I LOVE BREAD. I blardey love love love bread, more now so than ever before. Restricting myself from it for so long, was I an idiot? I can't stay away, really. Throw away the rice, noodles, pasta, blah. I'll live with bread. I think we'd make a good couple. LOL joking. 
Q:What did the loaf of bread say to the police officer? A: Rye so serious? I saw that online. I'm sorry. HAHA.

So breadelicious, see what I did there? Like bread+delicious=breadelicious? Which is supposed to sound like breadilicious. Okay I think all this weight has done something to my brain, I think it needs some tweaking. Sigh. LOL. Well it's because the longest list in my food-hopping list is for bakeries and sandwiches and stuff. So I guess I shouldn't deny my love for it. My gosh. I really love it so much I need some now :/

The first stop on my Breadelicious Series: Baker Talent!
I didn't even know this shop existed till recently. And apparently what were they famed for? GOLDEN SANDS BUN, AKA liu sha bread! LIU. SHA. BREAD. As if a normal liu sha bao wasn't enough. If you don't know what a liu sha bao is, it's a salted egg yolk pau, which is flowy on the inside and has this tantalizing effect on your taste buds as the salty and creamy custard combines together. So yes, a salted egg yolk BREAD? Oh man I thought I was dreaming.

Located conveniently near Nex, I decided to head to that outlet. But of course, being a total direction dummy, I got lost by walking the total opposite way ._. Thank gosh I found the shop in the end, very distinct shop name heh. I was awed by the prices, sizes, range of the breads they had to offer. I honestly didn't know which bread to choose. 

I went to google about this shop so detailedly, I knew exactly what the  shop looked like =.=

CHEAP BREAD HUGE BREAD A LOT OF BREAD
I was so excited, really and I didn't know which one to choose. I asked them for recommendations between the lemon cheese bun and the cranberry bun, which both sounded like great combos. They said "both are very popular! Why not get both?" But deciding not to be such a glutton, I just followed my cravings and got the Lemon Cheese Bun, Golden Sands Bun and Custard Bun. This was just for my afternoon teabreak, mind you.
Hohoho. Big plump breads, ready to be gobbled up.
Lemon Cheese Bun! The top was sprinkled with flour which I found was pretty unnecessary but  oh well...


A decent amount of filling, but it tasted really normal to me. While the cheese was pretty obvious, the lemon taste wasn't as prominent as I would have liked. Nothing special about this, but I like the combination!
Lemon and cheese is still a good combination though (;



The Custard Bun. I was really excited to try this, I really love custard! They drizzled some of the custard on top.


The filling didn't disappoint. It was generous, considering the bun itself it really fluffy and big, about the size of my palm. And the taste....good. It was good. It would have been even better if the bun was warm, but this suited my taste buds well. I loved this. A tad bit too sweet, making me wonder how much sugar they may have used, but I decided to ignore it. It was good, that's all that mattered.


NOM NOM CHOMP CHOMP CUSTARD INTO ME MOUTH


Finally, the bread I was so excited for! The Golden Sands Bun! The top was literally covered with sugar though, I forgot what type of sugar this was? But it freaked me out completely. But agh. The sacrifices of good food.


The verdict? DISAPPOINTED. I read such a good reviews, too, so I was really expecting something out of this world! The filling, albeit a little flowy(just not totally hardened), seemed more sticky than anything else. It was a little too sweet and salty at the same time, which really angst-ed me into thinking that they put sugar in there. Like I tasted small granules which I didn't know what to define as. I could only cross my fingers and hope it wasn't really sugar.


Surprisingly it looks so yummy and flowy in the picture. I guess for the price, it's pretty worth it though. I still think it's considered pretty special, since I haven't seen this type of bun elsewhere! But if the texture and taste was nicer.... ): But no regrets trying this! Maybe my tastes are just too trying. There were really so many good reviews about this. Sigh or maybe I just got a bad one. It would have been nicer warm too!

Overall, Baker's Talent isn't a place I would specially travel to if I wanted to have bread. Maybe if I was nearby and had the opportunity to try some of the other breads, I would. But I won't specially make a trip to go there, although the breads are ridiculously cheap and the tastes are pretty mediocre. My favorite would be the custard bun! Oh well, still, one bakery down! Been wanting to try this for the longest time so I'm glad I finally did!

If you would like to try them out, here's the list of their outlets:
•Blk 221 Boon Lay Shopping Centre #01-154
•Blk 303 Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 #01-723
•Blk 442 Clementi Ave 3 #01-89
•Blk 495 Jurong West St 51 #01-100
•Blk 964 Jurong West St 91 #01-1338
•Blk 461 Serangoon Central #01-11
•Blk 828 Tampines St 81 #01-266
•Blk 415 Yishun Ave 11 #01-319
•Blk 846 Yishun Ring Road #01-3633

Hehe. Part 1 over. Nyahahahaha I think I'm going to enjoy all this eating.







3 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE BREAD TOO ED HAS DEPRIVED ME FOR TOO LONG I JUST ATE THE MATCHA CHESTNUT FROM MAMA CRIES CRIES (": thanks for the recommendation <3 see you tmr :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAH must try the other flavors too, you won't regret it! I love Mama's! Love you haha see you!! <3

      Delete
  2. I tried the liu sha from baker's talent and I nearly cried it was so sad bc the fillings were so meager sobs

    ReplyDelete